- 1 loaf day old egg bread or challah
- 1 cup Lantic or Rogers Nature's RAW® Sugar
- 1/2 cup rum
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups 10% cream (half and half)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Additional Lantic or Rogers Nature's RAW® Sugar
- (optional) Easy Butterscotch Sauce*
- (optional) Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Cut egg bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Whisk sugar with rum until dissolved in a large bowl. Add eggs and yolks, whisking until light. Whisk in cream, vanilla and nutmeg until well combined. Stir in bread cubes; soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Line with a strip of parchment that overhangs ends. Transfer bread mixture to pan. Bread pudding can be prepared up to this point and reserved overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle top of pudding liberally with additional Plantation Raw® sugar. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing to a board. Slice and serve warm, drizzled with Easy Butterscotch Sauce and a dollop of whipped cream sprinkled with additional Plantation Raw® sugar (if desired).
- *From Butterscotch Apple Hand Pies
- Instead of rum, replace the rum with 1/2 cup apple juice blended with 1 tbsp rum extract.
- Use raisin bread instead of egg bread for even more flavour.