- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp (84g) unsalted butter
- 5 oz (142g) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (12g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup (71g) all-purpose flour
Peanut butter fudge swirl:
- 1/3 cup (80ml) smooth peanut butter
- 1/3 cup (80ml) LBMT Dark Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp (5g) all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper leaving enough overhang along the sides for lifting the brownies out after baking.
- Brownie base: Combine eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a medium bowl and whisk vigorously until well combined, pale and thick. Set aside.
- Combine butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat and stir constantly until chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth (you can also melt it in the microwave in 20 second bursts at 50% power, stirring between bursts). Pour this warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until well blended. Add cocoa powder and flour and stir it in with a spatula until combined. Spread the batter into prepared pan.
- Peanut butter fudge swirl: Melt peanut butter gently in the microwave and then stir in maple syrup and flour until smooth. Place spoonfuls of this mixture randomly over the brownie batter and then swirl it in with a knife or a wooden skewer.
- Bake for 24-27 minutes until slightly puffed and the surface looks shiny. A skewer inserted into the center should come out with only a few moist crumbs attached. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing into squares. Makes 16 brownies.
- These brownies will keep for up to a week stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator
- For an extra special treat, dip the corners of each brownie square in melted dark chocolate. Let set before storing.