- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 tsp finely grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup Lantic or Rogers Icing Sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- (for garnish) milk chocolate chips
- Whip butter with icing sugar, extract, grated orange peel and salt for 3 minutes or until almost white and very creamy. Sift flour with cornstarch; gradually beat into butter mixture, one third at a time. Scrape bowl. Beat on low for 1 additional minute or until dough is well combined.
- Transfer dough to a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe rosettes onto sheets; chill for 15 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Place rosettes, 1-inch apart, on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake, in batches on bottom rack, for 12 to 14 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Cool completely on the sheet.
- Garnish: Use white chocolate chips and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. For chocolate chips, melt in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water. Garnish as desired. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
- Store cookies, in airtight containers between layers of parchment paper, for up to 5 days. Or, freeze for up to 1 month.)